If your iPad is a personal device and you just want to get email on it then follow these instructions. Enrolling your device on our Mobile Device Management platform will cause certain policies to be enforced which will require a full wipe and restore to defaults to remove.
Resetting your iPad
If you iPad is new out of the box, you can skip this step. To re-enrol an existing iPad you need to reset the device. Any photos, videos, music or documents saved only on the device will be lost during this process, however, any that have been uploaded to the cloud, say through OneDrive, iCloud or the FirstSteps app should not be affected.
Steps to do this:
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate to the General tab on the left.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Reset.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID password.
- Press Erase.
- Press Erase again.
The screen will go black with just the apple logo and a little loading bar beneath it. This can take a few minutes.
Setting up the iPad from scratch
When you reset your iPad or turn it on for the first time you'll be greeted with a white screen with "Hello" on it, and it will change to many different languages. From here the iPad is ready to be set up:
- Press the home button.
- Select your language, you are free to have it in any language you like but we IT people may need you to translate it to English should we ever need to help you. These instructions assume you select English.
- Select United Kingdom.
- The next step should be to log into WiFi, if you are on campus then use eduroam (do not use setup-wifi, it will ruin everything), otherwise any internet connection will do. The below instructions assume you are using eduroam:
- Select eduroam
- Enter your LSU email address, usually of the form firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your LSU password, the same as when you log into a PC.
- Press join.
- After a few seconds a pop-up will appear asking you to trust a certificate. Check that the certificate comes from lboro-SUSVAMBIT-CA or lboro-SUSVPERVIEW-CA before pressing Trust.
- It can take a few minutes for eduroam to connect. During this time a pop up may say that eduroam doesn't have internet.
- Click next in the top right corner of the screen.
- It will take a few seconds to connect to Apple services and activate the iPad.
- Enable location services.
- A screen should pop up saying LOUGHBOROUGH STUDENTS ACTIVITIES LLP will automatically configure your ipad. Click next in the top right hand corner.
- Input your username (LSU email address) and password (same one as for logging into a computer or email account).
- Click next in the top right hand corner.
- It will install our configuration, it can take a few minutes.
- Finally, press Get Started.
After a few minutes our server will install the Self Service appon your device. A message will pop up with instructions on arranging your home screen. Click Dismiss.
At this point, depending on who you are different things will happen.
If you are nursery staff, it will lock down the iPad according to nursery policy and most settings and apps will be disabled.
If you are not nursery staff, you will be free to use it as a normal iPad with few restrictions. You can log in with an Apple ID and install additional apps.
From here, there a few additional steps you may wish to follow: