Permanent (non-Student) Staff
Before we can create a user account we need the following details from yourself:
- Full name - please double check the spelling, this isn't always easy to change later
- The department they will be located in so we can add them to the relevant security groups and email distribution lists
- Job title so they appear correctly in the Outlook Address Book and automatic signature.
- Any permissions they require, beyond the standard for the department. This might include projects they'll be assigned to.
- Are they permanent or temporary/student staff?
- Their expected leave date if they are temporary or student staff.
In addition to the above list, for student staff members we also recommend:
- Student ID number
- Contact telephone number
You may wish to tell us about some specific permissions, such as should they be put in _all LSU. By default we won't put anyone in _all LSU.
We IT people have a lot of stuff going on just like you do, we don't know everything about your department the way you do, so its best to assume we don't remember who you are or what it is you do. Be as specific as possible about what permissions a person needs. So for example, if you say, 'they need access to the archive folder', there are many, many folders named 'archive' in Users1 and beyond, and we don't like to guess. So assume we're not too bright and say, 'they need access to \\users1\users1$\mydepartment\something\something\ARCHIVE'.
There are also many forms of 'access':
- Read access means someone can open a file, but can't change it in any way.
- Write access means someone can open a folder and its files, and can add more files in there. However, they can't change anything once its in there and can't delete.
- Modify access means someone can open a folder or its files, can add whatever, can change whatever and can delete whatever.
By default, a person's email address is email@example.com, so we will assume this is the email address you want for your staff member. If this doesn't work for you for some reason, let us know why and what you would rather it be.
Our accounts are created by a script, there are some things a computer simply can't work out like a human can. For example, we know that John and Johnathan are the same name, and could well work out that John Smith and Johnathan Smith are the same person, but a script will not know and will assume they are different people. So, check the Global Address List to see if an account for a person already exists and under what name. Similarly, we can work out when a name is misspelled at least some of the time, but a script will assume you know how to spell, so always check for typos.
The script is currently set to accept a comma-delimited CSV (a type of spreadsheet) that looks like the below, if you provide a spreadsheet that looks like this then it makes it a lot easier for us and we might be less grumpy for a while.